At the beginning of each year, millions of people set their New Year’s resolutions. However, the large majority of people break their resolutions. Instead of setting vague, huge resolutions, you might want to try setting very specific goals and making a plan of how to achieve your goals. Following these simple 10 steps may start you towards a more rewarding life.
1. Determine what is important in your life in terms of the core values you want to live by. Pick your top 10 and rank them in order of importance
2. Write down your goals. Be specific about what you want to achieve this year, and put it on paper. Research shows that writing down your goals increases your likelihood of achieving them. Identify each goal as it relates to one of your core values. Goals that align with your values are more likely to be achieved.
3. Plan back words. Some goals may take days or months to attain. Set a deadline to accomplish them and then work backwards to determine what you need to do today to ultimately accomplish the goal.
4. End each day by writing out a tentative schedule for the next day that includes working towards a goal. Big goals may need to be broken down into many parts but commit to working on something specific. Having a plan for your day will help you hit the ground running when you wake up. You may even begin to problem solve subconsciously as you sleep.
5. Tackle the hardest tasks in the morning when you are fresh and have the most energy. Do that and the rest of the day is easy by comparison. If you are a night person, schedule tasks when you are most productive.
6. Minimize distractions. Eliminate the time wasters that have no impact on your goal achievement and well being.
7. Exercise. Try some form of physical activity each day even if it is simply a brisk walk during lunch. Do things you enjoy and switch things up to keep it interesting
8. Become an expert in your field. Reading or researching articles of interest and importance to you will soon make you an expert in any field you choose. Being an expert gives you confidence and access to all that is possible.
9. Associate with people that inspire you and hold you accountable. You become the average of the people you spend the most time with so choose your friends wisely.
10. Do your best every day, even on your off days. Be grateful for what you have and what you accomplish each day. Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Is there an 11th step you would add to this list based on your personal experience?